Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Craziness Has Set in!

Okay, so the Navy came and moved our personal belongings on Wednesday, and let me tell you...that's pretty traumatizing for an almost 2-year-old to see her toys and other personal items be put into boxes, then put into a semi, and then taken away from her. She had no idea what they were doing with her stuff, but she didn't like it one little bit. She seemed to settle down after about 2 hours of nonstop freaking out...that is until they packed her "flat daddy" poster. At that point, she had had enough and went hysterical. The gentleman packing our things asked if he should leave that out so she would calm down.

In a way, I think in her almost 2-year-old mind, she probably felt as though she was being punished for something. Now when it came to her "flat daddy" poster, it seemed as though she felt like he was being taken from her again. You see for the past couple of months since we received her "flat daddy" poster, sweetie has pretty much deemed him as "not the real thing, but good enough for now." That was awful for me to witness and to be honest, I cried right along with her. But for now the packing is a thing of the past and we can now enjoy our remaining 4 weeks here in Indiana with my friends and family with no hassles of packing.

Okay, so I've told you about the military obstacles in this blog, but I have yet to explain to you how this also turned out to be a physical obstacle for me. Well, when it came to sweetie throwing a temper tantrum and thrashing about as I tried to soothe her...I almost fell, which frightened me a little and sweetie too as she stopped thrashing for a few minutes before realizing that we were both okay and continued her thrashing about. At this point, I had no other choice, but to take her in the house and sit with her until I could calm her down and make her feel like things were okay again. You see, I don't have the best balance in the world so carrying my almost 2-year-old sweetie takes great strength on my part. I also have to count on sweetie to be good and still. She's a good helper and most of the time realizes that mommy can't always do the same things that other mommies can do, but she loves me just the same. My moment in the sun came later that evening as I was getting sweetie ready for bed. After I read her a story and she finished her chocolate milk, she gave me a kiss and a big hug and then it happened...her big baby blues stared right into my eyes (the same baby blues) and she said, "Love you mommy!"

It was then and there that I knew that we're going to be okay by ourselves out in California. It was at that moment that I knew that sweetie may not always understand me, but she understands enough to know that mommy loves and her and just wants to keep her safe...at all costs. What a great ending to otherwise very long and chaotic day! Oh, and "Mommy loves you too sweetie!"

I hate that the military makes us move all the time, but after they packed up the semi and left our house, she sweetie returned! I think it was just too much for her in one day to see her favorite toys packed up and taken away, even if it's only for a little while.

No comments: